Access to Food
What programs are available and where can I buy vegetables and fruit in Hastings Sunrise?
Our initiatives in Hastings Sunrise include:
- Community Meals
- Resources for Families
- Bulk Buying
- Wheels to Meals (55+) | Hastings Community Centre
- Farmers’ Market Nutrition Coupon Program
- Vancouver Farmers Markets @ Hastings Park (Nov – Apr)
- Shopping, cooking and eating on a budget
- Food skills workshops including cooking classes for youth and seniors, community kitchens, and canning workshops
Food in Our Community of Hastings Sunrise
Food Rescue Mission
Kiwassa Neighbourhood House organizes the Food Rescue Mission for the Hastings Sunrise neighbourhood. Each week, 2,200 kilos of produce and food is donated by Uprising Breads, and Van-Whole. The food is sorted and re-distributed to the Community Centres, Neighbourhood House(s) and CityReach Warehouse to be provided as food baskets.
Some Resources in Our Community
Our community has food banks and backpack programs in elementary schools providing emergency food relief for community members including families with children, seniors, and members of the LGBTQ2+ community. To learn more, contact the Neighbourhood Food Network Coordinator.